Monday, May 17, 2010

Donna and Dan - 3


Sarah: 1999 and 2009
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Another post in the countdown to Dan and Donna's 25th anniversary this coming June, which I began back in December. It is my plan to post a story, remembrance and/or poem once a week for 25 weeks leading to the big date, which will soon be here...

We had a baby shower for Sarah as one of our last acts of fellowship at Baptist Tabernacle. She was born in April of 1996 and we joined Jeff St that summer. It has always been her blessed community.

I was wrapping up school, then, finishing my degree in middle school special education (I graduated in December 2006 and began my brief teaching career soon thereafter). Thanks to working on the college newspaper the first couple of years in school and especially thanks to some of my teachers, I had begun writing a bit. Poetry and essays, mostly. I found out how much I enjoyed writing. Here are two of my early poems, written to our beloved Sarah Grace...


Sarah

there is music and poetry in her
laughter,
a grace, a gift
saying simply that "you're acting silly,
daddy,"
and her easy joy is given kindly
to me.


her fingers wrap't around mine

Her fingers wrap't around mine
for the first time tonight
impossibly small
improbably strong
and soon she's asleep
breathing softly on her mother.

Her fingers wrap't around mine
asking with her tired eyes
"Daddy please stay
just a short while"
and soon I'm asleep
breathing softly on her head.

Her fingers wrap't around mine
these fingers so smooth
touched by clouds
touch my soul
and soon I'm crying
breathing joy on her head.

Her fingers wrap't around mine
and for the first time she is
able to hold my whole hand
growing up
growing up
and I don't want to ever
let her go.

No comments: