Friday, January 29, 2010

Donna and Dan - 18


1988 Donna Dan
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Another post in the countdown to Dan and Donna's 25th anniversary this coming June, which I began a few weeks ago. It is my plan to post a story, remembrance and/or poem once a week for 25 weeks leading to the big date.

I saw Donna that September of 1983 and realized I was still very much drawn to her. But my breaking up with her had caused her so much pain and, besides that, she had two other fellas courting her. What was I to do?

Just a few weeks later, near Thanksgiving, Donna had cause to come back to Louisville. I invited her to spend some time at my parents' house visiting with us (with me) and she accepted the invitation. That night, we stayed awake late into the night, just talking things over.

When she started college at Murray, she had been planning on studying nursing, like her mother. But she quickly realized that blood and guts weren't for her and she changed her major to special education. She had a passion for helping children, especially those with physical and learning/behavioral problems. This compassionate, passionate side of her endeared her to me.

By this time, Donna was already considering going to the Southern Baptist Seminary to study church social work. She was considering doing missionary work of some sort, maybe in an urban setting.

I, on the other hand, was still wrapped up in my Christian band and had begun a career in woodworking.

I'm sure these are the things we talked and laughed about that night. I don't remember now.

All I know is that, if I thought I had made a mistake when I saw her back in September, I KNEW I had made a mistake, now. This woman was intelligent, concerned, beautiful, a follower of Jesus in the best way.

And as I sat there on our couch at three o'clock in the morning, all I could think was, "I need to ask her to marry me!" Crazy, I know. I had broken her heart. She had moved on. She had two other apparently decent guys who were interested in her. She STILL lived four hours away.

Despite all of that, I had to bite my tongue just not to out of the blue blurt out that question, "Donna, I know this is crazy, but will you marry me?"

I succeeded. I didn't ask. The night ended and we went to bed.

The next day, she went home.

1 comment:

rockync said...

I'll bet that's what attracted her to you; your unwaivering decisiveness! :)