Monday, January 28, 2008

Be Your Own Self


Sarah Grace
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
We have, at the top of our church bulletin each week, a quote. Sometimes from the Bible, sometimes from a saint, sometimes from a poet and sometimes from Abba or Supertramp. Yesterday's was from Milne...

"Do you mean that everyone is who he wants to be, and does what he wants to do?"

"Exactly," said Owl.

"But that would mean," Christopher Robin went on, "that you could make a choice, and decide who you want to be."

"Precisely," Owl said.

"Everyone, Owl?" asked Pooh. "Nobody ever asked me if I would like to be somebody else," he went on. "Or asked me if I would like to be myself," he added...


Great snippet of existentialist thinking. Reminded me of my poem in which I posit that none of us, if given a choice, would deliberately take actions that are destructive to the world. "But what," I asked, "If no one ever gives us the choice?"

1 comment:

ELAshley said...

Leave it to Pooh to cut directly to the chase.