Monday, January 14, 2008

A Music-y Weekend


Roger Dan
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
I had an enjoyable weekend, thank you, and I've been becoming acquainted with a couple of singers. One, Loudon Wainwright, I was already familiar with but I learned a new song (to me) that I really like.

The other singer is new to me (thanks, Sue!) - Kieran Kane - but I really like what I've heard from him thus far. Check out their websites and samples, if you'd like. Great stuff.

Here's the Wainwright song that I've been listening to - I've highlighted a couple of my favorite lines. "Life and Time and People are just glossy magazines..." ! Fantastic!


Last Man On Earth
Loudon Wainwright

In the year 2000 my age was 53
born in the first half of the last century
I always was post-modern but that's ancient history
Now I'm the last man on Earth that's what the matter is with me

I guess I'm old fashioned Retro to a degree
you could say I'm a throw-back anachronistically
air conditioning is here to stay and that makes me unhappy
cause I'm the last man on Earth that's what the matter is with me

I don't have a portfolio I gotta plead guilty
the best things are the worthless now that's just because they're free
and if your not a millionaire yet boy, you better be
Now, I'm the last man on Earth that's what the matter is with me

I should be optimistic and go buy some bonds and stocks
They'll find a cure for cancer soon we may get trigger-locks
existence is no picnic as statistics all have shown
we learn to live together and then we die alone

Everybody's got a website but that's all Greek to me
I don't own a computer I hate that letter "e"
I don't pack a cell phone or drive an SUV
Yes, I'm the last man on Earth that's what the matter is with me

I'm the last man standing save the last dance for me
I've taken the last train to Clarksville I'm the fifth monkey
nice guys always finish last no one's nicer than me
Yeah, I'm the last man on Earth That's what the matter is with me

Kid's used to say their prayers at night before they went to bed
St. John told us that God is love, Nietzsche said he was dead
this thing we call existence who knows what it all means?
Time and Life and People are just glossy magazines

I sat and watched those guys debate each other on TV
politicians, wrestlers they're all the same to me

hey, I don't give a damn which idiot runs this country
Since I'm the last man on Earth It don't matter to me

In the year 2000 my age was 53
I know that I'm grumpy, middle-aged crazy
but if you are a woman you might have to sleep with me
Since I'm the last man on Earth and I can guarantee
I'm the last man on Earth and there ain't nothing wrong with me.

No comments: