Tuesday, August 9, 2005

I'm still waiting...

I posted this poem in a response below, but thought I'd include it here, as well, as it touches on much of the debate that we've enjoyed (or not) the last few days at this blog.

Peace.


Prayer of a troubled soldier...

Oh Lord,

In a perfect world, I would be a pacifist, too,
with smiles and hugs, kisses and kind words.
But this world is so far from thy blessed heaven.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't have to kill the poor bastards trying to kill us,
blast their cars to jagged, blackened shards
blow up buildings
and whoever the hell is inside them.

In a perfect world, children wouldn't have
their parents incinerated in front of their eyes or
their stillnew arms torn off
by their bullets and bombs
or my bullets and bombs...
it's really hard to say which,

'cause this is not a perfect world, Lord.

And so I pray:
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done...somewhere.
Later.
In a perfect world.

Amen

6 comments:

whollyman said...

Oh yeah! I like it!

Seth said...

Yes, a perfect world would be the "bee's knees," but unfortunately we're inconvenienced by a bagatelle called "reality."
Bummer.

voixdange said...

You know, Dan, I really like your post about Faith -based logic. But I'm beginning to think you should have called it faith-less logic. Faith is the substance of things hoped for,the evidence of things not yet seen. Doesn't sound like "reality" much does it? If we remain focused on things as they are and have been, its hardly likely we ever see them become as they should be.

Dan Trabue said...

Thanks, all.

May I add that last sentence to my list of quotes, Angevoix? I like that.

Seth, I bet if we had a chance to sit down and chat, we could probably agree on some basics. We probably both want a more peaceful world. A world more safe from 9/11-styled terrorist attacks and countries that invade other countries.

That's what I'm talking about here. Not utopia. Not an unattainable reality. Just a more safe and sane reality. Surely we can agree on the concept?

voixdange said...

Of course Dan. What a compliment! I actually added it to my Proverbs post which I still add things to regularly.

olympiada said...

Excellent poem