Monday, November 17, 2008

Bread for the Journey


Bread for the Journey
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Hello. As those who've read here for a while know, earlier this year, the good folk at Jeff Street Baptist Community at Liberty (my beloved church) published a book of writings, stories, poems, etc from our members. We had a big release party this summer, dedicated the book to our dear pastor and had books available for those who wished to purchase one.

I have now finally gotten around to setting up the account so that you can order these Jeff Street books online! We actually published two books. The first is Bread for the Journey: Stories and Whatnot from Jeff Street. This is our book of stories and, well, whatnot.

The second book is Steve P. Holcombe, the Converted Gambler: His Life and Work. This book was written by Alexander Gross and published by the Courier Journal Press in 1880. It is the fascinating story of the fella who founded the Union Gospel Mission, the church from which Jeff Street sprang.

Both of these books are available online at our Jeff Street "store." When we received permission to republish the Steve Holcombe book, we had to promise to only charge the actual publishing costs. So, if you go to order that story, you will see that it is cheaper (free! if you choose to download it!) and that is why.

All profits from the Jeff Street book go directly to the work of the church. If you are interested in either book, please check them out.

Throughout Jeff Street’s history, we’ve never been a large church - mostly averaging fewer than 100 in attendance on any given Sunday.
We’ve never been a rich church, being made up of the homeless, the mentally ill, the working poor, and – moreso in these last 20 years – teachers, mental health workers, social workers, labor and justice organizers, and those working in environmental fields: sort of the seamy side of the working class.

What we have been is there. We’ve consistently been there, on the frontlines of Louisville’s poverty issues, homeless concerns, and justice and peace issues. What a blessed history to remember!

What a future yet to tell!

23 comments:

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

The history of your congregation is a testimony in and of itself, a real blessing. Thanks, Dan.

Dan Trabue said...

Thank you, Brother.

Al-Ozarka said...

"...the mentally ill..."

We already knew that, Dan.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Dan, you let that through?

Dan Trabue said...

Yeah. My thinking is that if people want to make idiotic statements, I'm okay with letting them show their asses.

I only put up the call block for our anonymous friend who would post the same copied Coulter essay over and over dozens (hundreds?) of times. Showing that you're an idiot is one thing. Impolitely refusing to play by rules is another.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Fair enough, I suppose.

Michael Westmoreland-White said...

In my biased opinion as a member of this weird and wonderful congregation, I love these books and am glad we are selling them. But if we start selling prayer cloths and other "Jesus junk," I may make a whip of cords and clear the temple. :-)

Al-Ozarka said...

You know, I've read this blog from time to time over the past three years and in the midst of all the praise for this so called "church" and the "wierd and wonderful" people who attend it...including the "pastor"ette, as well as for being so tolerant of what the Bible clearly describes as abomination, I've never read a word of praise for Jesus Christ.

Maybe I've just missed it.

Dan Trabue said...

Sadly, yes, brother Al. You have missed it. Tis a shame.

Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Huf! Here I thought I was praising Jesus even with my joking ref to the Temple Cleansing.

Dan Trabue said...

Only for those who have ears to hear...

Alan said...

Indeed, Dan.

So if you don't say "Jesus" every 5 seconds, you're not praising him?

Feh.

As Abraham Kuyper once said, "‘There is not a single thumbprint of the entire cosmos of which Christ the sovereign Lord of all does not say, “This is mine”.’

Dan Trabue said...

Amen.

Indeed, when I said (in this very post), "We’ve never been a rich church, being made up of the homeless, the mentally ill, the working poor..." I was praising God.

When I mentioned the fascinating story and witness of Steve Holcombe (also in this post) I was praising God.

When I was quoting Jesus in the previous post, I was praising God.

And, when I strive, imperfectly as I do, to welcome Brother Al here with us, I am praising God. For the reminder of my own fallen nature, if nothing else.

Marty said...

Perhaps you miss it, Al, because you come here with certain expectations rather than a heart of expectancy.

Al-Ozarka said...

Not one example of a "Praise Jesus.

Just "praise the unholy".

Dan Trabue said...

In searching your blog, Al, I notice that there is not one mention of the phrase "praise jesus" in it, either. There is some advocacy of violence and hateful speech aplenty.

So, what's your point?

Dan Trabue said...

Or, more to the point, what's your point with this particular post? Do you have something to contribute about our book, which is the topic of the post?

If you're only wanting to tear down my church, I'd suggest this is not the time or place for it. If you have concerns, by all means, please email me. Otherwise, if you can't say something nice...

Alan said...

"Just "praise the unholy"."

Well, he does let you post here, Al, if that's what you mean. ;)

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

It seems, Dan, you have a right-wing blog-stalker. Of course, he, too, is a child of God. An idiot-child, but one nonetheless.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings on the day to all of you and each of you and yours, Dan.

Ann Onomous said...

Here's a book that you need to add to your list here...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400054214?tag=anncoulter-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1400054214&adid=1GFJVTSK24EKQBWTE6P8&

Dan Trabue said...

The link is to an Ann Coulter book. No, but thanks.

Do you have anything to contribute on the topic of my post? Questions about either of the books?

Ann Onomous said...

No, not really.

I think I can gather all the information I need just from reading your wonderful blog here.

Dan Trabue said...

And I have had to turn back on the comment moderation because of our mousy friend. Sorry for his/her bad behavior.