Monday, September 8, 2008

"Stop Yelling at Each Other"


Cindy, Deanna, Sarah
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Congratulations to Senator McCain for keeping his acceptance speech last week a bit more noble and genuine than his comrades have done. Senator McCain mostly avoided the cheap and divisive direct attacks that had characterized the Republic Convention thus far. For that, I'm thankful.

McCain said:


And, finally, a word to Sen. Obama and his supporters. We'll go at it -- we'll go at it over the next two months -- you know that's the nature of this business -- and there are big differences between us. But you have my respect and my admiration.

Despite our differences, much more unites us than divides us. We are fellow Americans, and that's an association that means more to me than any other.

We're dedicated to the proposition that all people are created equal and endowed by our creator with inalienable rights. No country -- no country ever had a greater cause than that. And I wouldn't be an American worthy of the name if I didn't honor Sen. Obama and his supporters for their achievement...

...Please, please, please. My friends, my dear friends, please. Please don't be diverted by the ground noise and the static.

You know, I'm going to talk about it some more. But Americans want us to stop yelling at each other, OK?

Very classy and right on. This part of McCain is the part that I've seen in the past that I can respect and appreciate. Just as I appreciate Obama's consistent striving to stay on the high road. Congratulations to both candidates for that.

Now, if McCain's and Obama's followers would heed that call to remember that we're all on the same side, that we're all Americans, and keep the debate to actual positions, not character attacks and misrepresentations.

I would point out that this portion of McCain's speech would have held more water if he'd called on the carpet those from the night before who were engaged in exactly the sort of ugly campaigning that he's calling his party to avoid.

McCain is right: Let's stop yelling at each other, demonizing the Other. I hope he heeds that call himself and demands it from his followers.

McCain went on to articulate his Campaign Premise: CHANGE IS COMING.

This, I must say, I find a bit less inspiring. We desperately need change. People want us to move away from the politics of divisiveness and away from the arrogance and ignorance that was a cornerstone of the Bush administration. We've HAD eight years of the Republicans having their way and change IS desperately needed and wanted.

What I didn't hear from his speech is an answer to the obvious question: IF change is needed after eight years of neo-conservative Republican rule, how is placing another neo-conservative Republican in office going to effect that change?

So, in short, I agree wholeheartedly with McCain that we need to stop the ugly divisive politics that too many on both sides have engaged in in years past. Amen. AND, we DO need a change from the current direction of US policy as implemented by Bush and supported by McCain.

Let's make it so.

4 comments:

John said...

Amen. I used to enjoy good arguments. Now I just find them tiring.

Anonymous said...

but, c'mon, don't you just see this as another manufactured speech from karl rove? do you really think the establishment of the last 8 years wants change? do you think they even want peace?

Dan Trabue said...

Could be. What I suspect (and I don't know that any of us know or can know, at least at this point) is that McCain was a genuine politician who said what he meant and believed what he believed and was opposed to torture and dirty campaigning, etc - that he was a decent fella trying to live out his belief system without compromise.

That's how I suspect McCain was for much of his career. BUT, that he has let the quest for this office dictate his behavior and change it in ways that the Old McCain was opposed to; causing him to embrace tactics and ideals that he was formerly opposed to.

That's my suspicion. I could be wrong. It's just a hunch.

Erudite Redneck said...

Hmmm. I thought it sounded fermiliar!

http://eruditeredneck.blogspot.com/2006/02/just-calm-down-little.html