Sunday, July 6, 2008

Amber Waves of Grain...


Grass in Sun
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
In thinking of music about love of one's homeland, perhaps my personal favorite is Finlandia:

This is my song, O God of all the nations
A song of peace for lands afar and mine
This is my home, the country where my heart is
Here are my hopes and dreams, my holy shrine
But other hearts in other lands are beating
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean
And sunlight beams on clover leaf and pine
But other lands have sunlight, too, and clover
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine
O hear my song, thou God of all the nations
A song of peace for their land and for mine.


A beautiful runner up is Nicaragua, Nicaraguita

Oh Nicaragua Nicaraguita
most beautiful flower of my love
fertilized with the blessed
blood of Diriangen

Oh Nicaragua you are even sweeter
Than the honey from Tamagas
But now that you are free
Nicaraguita
I love you much more
But now that you are free
Nicaraguita
I love you much more


This song is so bittersweet and beautiful to listen to, even if you couldn't understand the native Spanish lyrics, you could tell it was a song of love for one's homeland and freedom - made all the more poignant by Nicaragua's harsh history and struggle for freedom.

But I'm drawing a blank right now on US songs that are similarly strikingly beautiful. Our national anthem is not especially singable, nor lovely and it's a bit too militaristic for my tastes.

America, the Beautiful is not too bad, it has some striking imagery in its lyrics...

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
God shed His grace on Thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!


This is probably my favorite traditional patriotic song (or perhaps Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land). But I think there are probably others that are more awe-inspiring that I'm not thinking of at this moment.

How about it? Can you help me out with your favorite poignant US hymn?

7 comments:

Edwin Drood said...

God Bless America

ELAshley said...

Three very beautiful songs, Dan. I love the way America the Beautiful sounds on my six-string.

By the way, I've listened to several of your brother's songs... very nice. He's a talented guy. Why haven't you posted any of your music? Or have I just missed it?

I can't think of any American hymn that fit your bill, but I'll toss in a more modern tune. Not because it's particularly patriotic but because it's poignant...

"A pistol hot cup of rhyme
The whiskey is water, the water is wine
Marching feet, Johnny Reb, what’s the price of heroes?"


--REM, Swan Swan H

Dan Trabue said...

Well, since you asked, I'll post another slideshow featuring some Trabue family music...

I'm not the musician my brother is, though.

How 'bout you, Eric? When can we expect to hear you tickling those guitar strings some online?

(By the way, you gotta love REM, thanks for the lyrics.)

And thanks for the contribution, Edwin. I can't say that "God Bless America" does much for me, but to each his/her own.

(I keep thinking of the old summer camp song...

God bless my underwear
My only pair
I have worn them
And torn them
On the seat of the old rocking chair...

Marty said...

I think we need to revise God Bless America to God Save America.

AJ Harbison said...

Hi Dan,
On the other hand, from a musical point of view, "The Star-Spangled Banner" is much more interesting than, say, most European national anthems, which tend to be militaristic and musically bland. Few countries that I know of, at least, have anthems that are as musically complex. Listen during the Olympics, if you get a chance to watch them. The composer's two cents....

AJ Harbison
The Listening Blog

ELAshley said...

I am actually writing some songs, but recording requires I acquire some additional equipment, recording equipment, which I want and AM trying to acquire. I also need a bass, and a keyboard-- I can do all the drumming I need on the back of my Ibanez

Mayhap sometime in 2009.

Thanks for the music link. I'll listen in later this evening.

Roger said...

I love the Kenyan national anthem I'd sing every Friday at Rift Valley Academy in Kijabe, Kenya. The English translation is

O God of all creation
Bless this our land and nation.
Justice be our shield and defender.
May we dwell in unity, peace and liberty,
Plenty be found within our borders.

It's a prayer that needs to be lifted up for Kenya in these days of social and political turbulence.