Saturday, June 28, 2008

Time Off


Dan and Donna
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
If I haven't been posting much this week, it's with good reason: We've been on a short vacation. Sarah, Donna and I took out a loan, filled up the automobile with gasoline and hauled ourselves over to lovely Whitesburg, Kentucky in the Appalachian Mountains of eastern Kentucky. We went there for the annual Cowan Creek Mountain Music School.

[More info at cowancreekmusic.org]

The good folk at the Cowan Creek Community Center sponsor the week as a delightful way to pass on Old Time Music, Appalachian stories, traditions and songs. There are an amazingly wonderful group of people who put this (and other) efforts together and they are well worth looking into and supporting.

I was going to post a slide show with some of the wonderful music performed there this week, as well as photos of the beauty of the region, but I have been experiencing some technical difficulties.

So, for the time being, I have put the slide show together featuring some traditional music from two blog friends, Deb and Tim. Their songs (Early and Soldier's Joy, respectively) - along with a little Cluck Ol' Hen that I recorded - are representative of the sort of music we heard and learned this week.

It was a powerful, spiritual trip - our third trip to the Camp - and if you're interested in this sort of music, you could not find a better way to spend your time, nor a more glorious location in which to spend it.

6 comments:

Deb said...

What a wonderful surprise, to check in here this morning and to hear my music along with yours and Tim's, accompanying a slide show of what must have been a fantastic week. Maybe some day I'll make it there!

Dan Trabue said...

I didn't ask ahead of time, I hope that's okay.

Speaking of that, when's a Deb album coming out?

Deb said...

Hey Dan, it's perfectly okay! I'm glad you remembered that recording.

A Deb album? I don't know. I have tons of ideas for music video blogging, but it seems I barely have time to point a camera at myself and shoot lately. The mantra here is: "When we're in the new house..." Which we are getting very close to.

revhipchick said...

sounds lovely!

hooray for the "vacation"! it sounds as if it was very refreshing and wonderful for your souls!

Dan Trabue said...

Thanks, Reverend. It was refreshing, indeed.

Dan Trabue said...

And that reminds me! I've never yet changed your blog over yonder in my blogroll. I'll tend to it right now.

Everyone be sure to visit the Good Reverend - formerly seminary student and now out a-pastorin' - and read of her exciting adventures in Ministry Land and whatnot...