Monday, March 31, 2008

Phydeaux's on his own, now...


Howie on the Tracks
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Larry was a "christian" singer who tackled controversial political topics at a time when nice Christians kept silent. Thank you Larry, for not worrying about being nice.

6 O'Clock News

Catch my plane flight back to the mainland,
I fall asleep to the engines' drone.
I see the flash of guns, how red the mud becomes,
I've got a close-up view. I am, I am, I am, I am, I am

I'm the six o'clock news - what can I do?
Guerilla Rendezvous - what can I do?
All those kids without shoes - what can I do?
Napalm tattoos - what can I do?

I'm the six o'clock news - what can I do?
I am, I am, I am, I am, I am
CBS, NBC, ABC....

Nightmare #71

and soon i saw atlantis rumble and rise high
and the great egg of euphrates came down out of the sky
and out stepped shirley temple with guy kippee who was dead
and that communist bill robinson whom shirley called black red
they have a marionette of harpo marx they said it was an inside joke
but when i honked his horn he came alive and these were the words he spoke

"with the continents adrift and the sun about to shift
will the ice caps drown us all or will we burn
we've polluted what we own will we reap what we have sown?
are we headed for the end or can we turn?
we've paved the forest killed the streams
burned the bridges to our dreams
the earth is bursting at the seams
and in pain of childbirth screams
as it gives life to what seems
to either be an age that gleams
or simply lays there dying
if this goes on will life survive how can it
out of the grave oh who will save our planet?"

Great American Novel

you are far across the ocean
but the war is not your own
and while you're winning theirs
you're gonna lose the one at home
do you really think the only way
to bring about the peace
is to sacrifice your children
and kill all your enemies

the politicians all make speeches
while the news men all take note
and they exagerate the issues
as they shove them down our throats
is it really up to them
whether this country sinks or floats
well i wonder who would lead us
if none of us would vote

and your money says in God we trust
but it's against the law to pray in school
you say we beat the russians to the moon
and i say you starved your children to do it
you say all men are equal all men are brothers
then why are the rich more equal than others
don't ask me for the answer i've only got one
that a man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son

2 comments:

Bubba said...

God rest his soul. But it's one thing not to worry about being nice, another not to worry about being consistent.

the politicians all make speeches
while the news men all take note
and they exagerate the issues
as they shove them down our throats...

you say we beat the russians to the moon
and i say you starved your children to do it


It's not exactly a clear-headed examination uncontaminated from exaggeration.

Dan Trabue said...

No, it's poetry with heavy, deep symbolism and a poignant, powerful, biblical message, not designed to be taken literally.