Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hawk or Dove...?


Redtail Soaring
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.
Brent, over at Colossians 3:16 has opened a discussion on Just War Theory and I believe he would accept polite, reasoned readers and commenters to come by and read and/or enter conversation on the post.

BUT ONLY polite, reasoned commenters, please. I'd hate to send a bunch of naughty bloggers his way.

Left, Right, Hawk, Dove, whatever our position, I think it very important for us as a nation and as communities to have conversations like these where we can actually listen to and speak to those who may disagree with us.

1 comment:

John said...

I don't often get to say that pacifism is a respectable, if not noble position for a Christian to hold. And I don't get to say it that often because so often the pacifism that I encounter is not a sincere pacifism, but a variation of anti-Americanism; that is, it is not a call to end all violence, but is focused exclusively on America.

I see the same thing in the global warming debate. A lot of people on the Right are knee-jerk dismissive of evidence for global warming, and I think that it's because much of the verbiage on global warming says, either directly or implicitly, "America is evil."

Those of us with basic patriotic impluses are resistant to ideas, even very good ideas, if they are expressed not as free-standing ideas that apply everywhere, but as hatred toward America.

I'd like to address pacifism and Just War in this universal context. It's just so rare to get the opportunity.