Monday, April 30, 2018

There Will Be Teeth in the Grass


"And when you give me your clothes
And when we're lovers at last
Fresh air, perfume in your nose
There will be teeth in the grass

And when you give me your house
When we're all brothers at last
There will be food in our mouths
There will be teeth in the grass

And when there's nothing to want
When we're all brilliant and fast
When all tomorrows are gone
There will be teeth in the grass..."

~Sam Beam

             +++++++++++++++++++++


"Woe to you who desire the day of the Lord!
    Why would you have the day of the Lord?
It is darkness, and not light,
    as if a man fled from a lion,
    and a bear met him,

or went into the house and leaned his hand against the wall,
    and a serpent bit him.

Is not the day of the Lord darkness, and not light,
    and gloom with no brightness in it?

I hate, I despise your feasts,
    and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies.

Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings,
    I will not accept them;
and the peace offerings of your fattened animals,
    I will not look upon them.

Take away from me the noise of your songs;
    to the melody of your harps I will not listen.


But let justice roll down like waters,
    and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream."

~The Prophet Amos

4 comments:

Marshal Art said...

There might be teeth in the grass (whatever that means), but will there be a response to what I provided at your demand?

Anonymous said...

I first read it as "there will be teeth in the GLASS" which immediately reminded me of weekends spent at my grandparents' house. Shortly after the Lawrence Welk show ended the two of them would remove their dentures and put them in a glass of water to leave in the bathroom overnight.

~ Hiram

Marshal Art said...

Great story, Hiram! I'm not one to use this, but...LOL!

Dan Trabue said...

I agree that the symbolism for "teeth in the grass" can be a bit unclear and maybe teeth in the glass does make more sense!

Marshall, I hadn't responded because, while you offered a verse, per the request, the verse does not do what you think it does. I've responded there, but the point was, merely making an assertion does not make it so. Don't discuss it here, thanks.