Friday, October 5, 2012

RULES

I hate to have to do this, but I'm adding a rule that I will strive to enforce.

Call people by their given names, not pet names, not demeaning names, just their given names or, if you prefer, an honorific title: Brother, sister, sir, ma'am, friend...

If someone's name is Daniel, then call them Daniel. Not "Danny," not "Dan-dan," not "Dopey Dan..." Just "Daniel."

I insist. Thanks.

Now feel free to politely talk to strangers, to listen, to sing along and to mind the children...

7 comments:

The Golden Throated Siren of Smooth said...

I whole heartedly agree.

Dan Trabue said...

Good.

Marshall Art said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Marshall Art said...

Dan-dan,

I take it you'll decide whether or not "kitten" or "worm" is an "honorific" title akin to "brother", "Ma'am" or "friend".

As regards three particular visitors, I prefer to act on a principle put forth on the popular British show of the 60's "Prejudice" and simply not call them anything but instead ignore them, I'm often compelled by their commentary to respond. As Alan likens me to one animal, certainly because I'm cute, warm and cuddly, I thought an animal name for him conjured by his tone and style was the least I could do. I guess I'll have to give up trying to pin down the perfect choice.

BTW, has anyone really used "Dan-dan" before?

Craig said...

Dan,
I am glad to see you adding a rule to govern the conversations here. I trust that you will be evenhanded and consistent in enforcing it.

Craig said...

Dan,
I am glad to see you adding a rule to govern the conversations here. I trust that you will be evenhanded and consistent in enforcing it.

Dan Trabue said...

I know that those on "my side" tend to get chastised and deleted more and may have a legitimate complaint to lodge, but I shall strive to be even-handed...