Thursday, July 15, 2010
Signals of Oddity and Whatnot
We had a kickoff for this process - and a Goodbye For Now send off for Pastor Cindy, who has left for Sabbatical - this last Sunday. To begin the year, we looked back and remembered stories of our oddity from our history and shared them with one another.
A grand, rollicking, beautiful, powerful time was had by all and I've posted many of those stories in videos at the Jeff St blog, if you're interested.
Speaking of Oddities, the NAACP has received some heat from some of our friends on the Right this week for having the audacity to challenge the Tea Party to stand against the racist elements that fringe their movement. They quite specifically did not call the Tea Party racist, rather, they challenged them to repudiate racism along with them by taking this "radical" pledge...
* I believe all Americans have equal rights and equal value.
* I cherish the diverse cultures, beliefs, and values of America.
* I believe we can disagree without being disagreeable.
* I repudiate all acts of racism and hate, both in words and action.
* I have faith in the promise of America – a promise built on mutual respect, common civility, and hope for a better tomorrow.
* I commit to building that better America by participating actively and peacefully in the democratic process.
We are one people. We are one nation.
Is that so hard to agree with?