Saturday, March 20, 2010

Donna and Dan - 13

Another post in the countdown to Dan and Donna's 25th anniversary this coming June, which I began back in December. It is my plan to post a story, remembrance and/or poem once a week for 25 weeks leading to the big date.

After the Big Kiss and my return to Donna's good graces, life was good. Of course, there was still the matter of another fella who was wooing her, but eventually, it was clear that Donna and I were made for each other.

[As an aside, one thing that made the difference between me and the Other Guy was that he would badmouth me, while I spoke kindly of him. While Donna was sorting things out and trying to decide if she could trust me again, that made a world of difference, she told me later.

Word to the wise - do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.]

The months flew by and Donna and I were head over heels in love again. Soon - in the fall of 1984, on a starry evening on an old bridge over the small creek that runs behind Donna's house in Arlington, I asked her if she'd marry me.

"Sure," she said, rather nonchalantly, as if it were a given.

For the most part, things went smoothly during these days. Our biggest problem was that we were still separated by a long four hour drive. Also, Donna had to finish up her bachelor's degree at Murray still.

At this point, she had decided she felt "called into the ministry," and had already started plans to attend the Southern Baptist Seminary in my hometown of Louisville to study Church Social Work.

We just had to decide WHEN to do the deed - should we get married AFTER she had finished her three years at the seminary (an idea I was strongly opposed to, for wholly selfish reasons) or after college and before Seminary (my preference - the sooner the better) or sometime in between.

Eventually, we agreed. The sooner, the better. And so, the stage was set for the Big Day, June 1, 1985.

Yahoo!

No comments: