Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Here's One for Bush


Shoe
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
So, what's the best Bush/Shoe joke you've heard yet?

If you have not heard, somehow: President Bush was shown over-and-over ducking the shoes thrown by an Iraqi reporter during a Baghdad news conference.

Jay Leno wants to know where was the Secret Service. He asks shouldn't they have "at least jumped in front of the second shoe?"

David Letterman was impressed by the president's quick reactions. Letterman says Bush "hasn't dodged anything like that since, well, the Vietnam War."

Conan O'Brien says the shoe-thrower is being hailed as a hero by some in Iraq. O'Brien adds when the man dies, "he'll be greeted in heaven by 72 podiatrists."

How about it? Got anything better?

I reckon this guy was just giving Bush the boot a bit early...

ADDENDUM:

Here's more:

Sure Bush ducked when the shoes were thrown at him, but it was a pretty lame duck...

UPDATE:
Apparently, this shoe-thrower dude is quite the hero in Iraq - a spokesperson for the frustration felt by the Iraqis by American policy. I'm thinking we could start a movement here, the Good Ol' Shoe movement. Everywhere we go, we could throw old shoes over telephone pole wires and sing a chorus or two of Good Ol' Shoe.

(In the timely and incredibly funny movie, Wag the Dog, Willie Nelson's character pens a song for a fake war hero - played by an insane Woody Harrelson. You can catch snippets of the song - Good Ol' Shoe - here.)

Good Ol' Shoe
by Edgar Winter


1. Daddy had a hound dog we used to call him, Blue
He used to follow me around and stick to me like glue
And his favorite thing to play with used to be my good ol' shoe

I wish I had a woman who was half as good and true
To keep me out of trouble the way he used to do
Someone I can depend on, just like that good ol' shoe

Chorus:
Good ol' shoe Good ol' shoe
Whatever road you're walkng he will get you thru
Good ol' shoe Good ol' shoe
Straight and proud the way he taught you to
And you might even get to heaven with a soul like that good ol' shoe


2. Well, my daddy always told me hang on to what you've got
Smile and be thankful even if it's not a lot
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

but before you leap boy, use your common sense
You might get kicked around and stepped on but that ain't nothin new
If you got a leg to stand on don't give up on that good ol' shoe

CH:

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Good thing the pres kept his eye on the shoe-ter...

Was the reporter the sole shoe-ter?

Dan Trabue said...

Kevin! Good to hear from you. Nice puns, keep 'em coming like shoes thru the air...

brd said...

The gravity of the insult given by this reporter relates to the fact that to a Muslim, shoes are ritually unclean. This act is clearly symbolic in nature. When Saddam's statue was torn down, the crowd struck with shoes. Hm.m.m I guess the second shoe has hit the floor.

John said...

Yeah, seriously -- where the hell was the Secret Service. That could have been a grenade. The reporter should have been tackled before he got off the second shoe.

Uncivil said...

Ok, I'm seeing the humor in it now!That was a funny post! In don't watch much TV, so I hadn't heard those late night comments before now!

"Sure Bush ducked when the shoes were thrown at him, but it was a pretty lame duck..."

Now that was a heck of a leftist comeback! I loved it.

I'm a right winger, but I try to be a fair and peaceful one!

Most enjoyable reading here Dan.

Happy New Year!

Ya know.......the fireworks always disturb me at New Years and Fourth of July.
They symbolize war to me, and war is so darn discomforting.
I (being a right winger) understand why we have to fight them, but I don't glorify them.