Friday, August 17, 2007

Mary Shelley's Birthday...


Graveyard
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Mary Shelley's birthday is approaching in a few days (August 30th) and, as Frankenstein is one of my favorite novel's, I thought I'd bring out a few quotes in honor of Shelley.

As you likely know, Shelley wrote Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus. The story goes that in May of 1816, she and some writer friends were confined indoors one evening because of gloomy, rainy weather. The group was inspired by spooky stories from the book Fantasmagoriana, and decided to have a ghost-story writing contest. Frankenstein was Shelley's unbelievable result (she was only 19!).

The language Shelley uses is gothic and elegant. The story, tragic and a warning for the wise. Consider this line from the Preface, in which Dr. Frankenstein is found in the Arctic by Captain Walden, who is himself on a mission of exploration. Walden is here speaking rapturously about the thirst for knowledge and the extent to which he'd go to gain knowledge...

One man's life or death were but a small price to pay for the acquirement of the knowledge which I sought; for the dominion I should acquire and transmit over the elemental foes of our race.

As I spoke, a dark gloom spread over my listener's countenance. At first I perceived that he tried to suppress his emotion; he placed his hands before his eyes; and my voice quivered and failed me, as I beheld tears trickle fast from between his fingers--a groan burst from his heaving breast. I paused;--at length he spoke, in broken accents:-- "Unhappy man! Do you share my madness? Have you drank also of the intoxicating draught? Hear me--let me reveal my tale, and you will dash the cup from your lips!"


As much as I enjoy the novel for the morality play involved, even moreso, I love the language. Oh, that I could write thusly...

"It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow light of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs."

Do you have favorite lines or thoughts from Frankenstein?

5 comments:

John said...

They made a book from the movie? Awesome! It would be even cooler if they came out with a comic book series or graphic novel.

Dan Trabue said...

Ha! or a video game, which could lead naturally to a Frankenstein toy line, and maybe, if things go well, to an off-broadway musical!

Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Mary Shelly was also the daughter of pioneer feminist Mary Wollenstonecraft whose book, A Vindication of the Rights of Women may have been the earliest manifesto of the modern feminist movement. It would be interesting for me to re-read Frankenstein and see if any feminist concerns or themes are detectable.
The theme of setting limits to science and being careful of technology are, of course, dominant.

brd said...

How about these Frankensteinian quotes?

“The companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain.”

“My heart was fashioned to be susceptible of love and sympathy, and when wrenched by misery to vice and hatred, it did not endure the violence of the change without torture such as you cannot even imagine.”

I'm liking the idea of Frankenstein, the Musical, and am imaging the dance sequences.

I don't know if Mary Shelly has a strong feminist tone in her writing, but the fact that she could and did write so well certainly speaks of the strength of character and self assurance that are gifts of feminism for women.

Dan Trabue said...

Well, we have Young Frankenstein to watch if we want to catch some scary dance moves...

Not to mention the great songs:

PUTTONONDARITZ!!!