Friday, June 1, 2007

Happy Anniversary


Donna
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
Sometimes our life reminds me
of a forest in which there is a graceful clearing
and in that opening a house,
an orchard and garden,
comfortable shades, and flowers
red and yellow in the sun, a pattern
made in the light for the light to return to.
The forest is mostly dark, its ways
to be made anew day after day, the dark
richer than the light and more blessed,
provided we stay brave
enough to keep on going in...

I give you what is unbounded, passing from dark to dark,
containing darkness: a night of rain, an early morning.
I give you the life I have let live for the love of you:
a clump of orange-blooming weeds beside the road,
the young orchard waiting in the snow, our own life
that we have planted in the ground...

Excerpted from Wendell Berry's The Country of Marriage


Happy Anniversary, Donna.

7 comments:

Larry Who said...

Happy anniversary to the both of you. May your journey together gather speed over the next few weeks.

Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Mazel Tov! (Sorry, I grew up in a neighborhood with many Jews. :-) )

Dan Trabue said...

thanks, fellas.

Erudite Redneck said...

What a cutie! (No offense!)

Conga rats!

:-)

pablo said...

Happy day to you both. Today is my 27th anniversary. I think back then when I tried to imagine myself now, I saw a decrepit old man hobbling around. Funny about that.

Dan Trabue said...

And a happy 27th to you, Pablo.

Where are those decrepit old men we foresaw?

John said...

Happy anniversary!