Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Bible and Economics


Mockingbird
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.
I thought I'd begin a new thing today. I will occasionally post a passage, verse or verses from the Bible on matters of economics. Since I've begun watching for it, I've been surprised at how persistent economic messages are within the Bible.

Eventually, I'll create a link page so that all of these Bible Economics quotes can be accessed from one page. I think it will be an interesting experiment. Feel free to give your thoughts on these passages.


“The songs of the palace will turn to wailing in that day,” declares the Lord GOD “Many will be the corpses; in every place they will cast them forth in silence.”

Hear this, you who trample the needy, to do away with the humble of the land, saying,

“When will the new moon be over,
So that we may sell grain,
And the sabbath, that we may open the wheat market,
To make the bushel smaller and the shekel bigger,
And to cheat with dishonest scales,
So as to buy the helpless for money
And the needy for a pair of sandals,
And that we may sell the refuse of the wheat?”
The LORD has sworn by the pride of Jacob,
“Indeed, I will never forget any of their deeds...”
“It will come about in that day,” declares the Lord GOD,
“That I will make the sun go down at noon
And make the earth dark in broad daylight…
“Then I will turn your festivals into mourning
And all your songs into lamentation…”

~Amos 8: 3-10

3 comments:

brd said...

Dan,

I have finally found this site. Last week I found the Jeff Street stuff, but not this one. I like it. When I read your posts, I am entertained by how much I agree with you. Your list of books and movies are even ones that I would choose. Even Monty Python!

Have you tried to implement the new blogger "labels" feature. I think it would allow you to do what you referred to in this post with no fuss, no muss. I love the labels/category feature in the new blogger.

Dan Trabue said...

Thanks, I'll see if I can figure that out - I've never really looked at that.

And I thought the same thing with your site - with the exception of opera. I'm quite the uncouth boor when it comes to that.

Chance said...

I think those are great verses, but I think where we disagree is that I don't think: not paying a wal-mart worker what they want to make = stealing from the poor/trampling the needy.