Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sacred Yard


hidden
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.
Donna and I got to hear the wonderful Mitch Barrett in concert this last Friday. He did a beautiful job and I was especially moved by this old song of his. The greening of the yard, I suppose.

Sacred Yard, by Mitch Barrett

Outside in my front yard
I’ve got a plastic rooster and a Noah’s Ark
camel bells from a foreign land
crystal ball on a terra cotta stand
Jesus’ cross is hanging on a tree,
Tibetan prayer flags blowin’ in the breeze
rub my lucky yard gnome as you walk past
my concrete Buddha laughin’ in the grass

chorus:

Wipe your feet before you step from your car
you’re on hallowed ground you're in my sacred yard
Holy Water in the birdbath to wash your sins
now you’re forgiven, come on in

Got a silver star of David and a stained glass moon
sentimental objects hanging in my room
everything is sacred every breath of air
be careful what you’re thinking, every thoughts a prayer
It’s the ordinary people you talk to every day
incantations and prophecies from the mouths of babes
you can talk about the weather or the food you crave
it’s the feelings you project
and not the words you say

chorus:

Wipe your feet before you step from your car
you’re on hallowed ground you're in my sacred yard
Holy Water in the birdbath to wash your sins
now you’re forgiven,
and I'm forgiven,
we're all forgiven
come on in

You can listen to it and other songs at his website if you're so inclined.

5 comments:

Larry Who said...

Great music. I really enjoyed "Drop in the Bucket."

funkyvick said...

Dan,
Hello again! I used to read you daily, yet somehow drifted away. I found you again by reading comments you made at another site regarding the movie "Happy Feet." Thanks for speaking up for Truth on that.

I love this song and will post it at my sites before the day's out.
I am adding your RSS feed back to my fold. Bless you and all you do.
Kel
www.myspace.com/L5P

Dan Trabue said...

Thanks for writing, Larry and Kel. I like just about everything that I hear Mitch sing. He's a Kentucky boy, too, so he has that going for him.

hipchickmamma said...

i LOVE the photo! very cool song as well, but your image is wonderful!

ps...happy belated birthday!

Dan Trabue said...

Thank you, Miss Mamma.