Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day


Kendra, Sarah and Reyna
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.


The words of brother Martin:

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.

Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true.

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.

A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan.

Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies - or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.

6 comments:

Eleutheros said...

Too bad virtually every civil rights "leader" since MLK has blatantly ignored everything he had to say.

You cannot embrace what King had to say, especially in the "Dream" speech, and be in favor of the racial quotas disguised as "equal opportunity", the welfare dole, racial quotas at schools, and all the other so called civil rights advancements.

Anonymous said...

Dan. I know its a pain in the butt, but I'm consolidating my blog into my music site at www.TimSean.com. I like being linked at your place so if you want to update it that would be great.

Dan Trabue said...

No problem, Tim.

And everyone, be sure to see the fantastic, homemade music Tim puts together. Folky, acoustic, celtic-esque, Rich Mullins-y, progressive and way cool.

Don't miss it.

www.TimSean.com

Erudite Redneck said...

"If" MLK Jr. was a Christian!

I am not kidding when I say that the Lord God Almighty His Own Self, inasmuch as I ever get even a hint of His will for me, has led me to abandon EL and his amen-ers to their own devices.

What's funny is the Lord used the rank meanness and unprovoked attack of TugboatCapn to severe me from what had become not only a distraction but a temptation to sin.

EL's witness for Christ is nil. Ichabod. I shook the blogdust of him and his place from my blogfeet. Pray that I stay away, lest I tumble into sin.

mom2 said...

ER, Can you even go back and read that post of yours and feel right in your spirit toward God? If you cannot love those whom you can see (on this earth), how can you say you love God? That is a pretty vicious comment in my opinion.

Erudite Redneck said...

I said nothing about not loving EL, mom2. I said that my visits to his blog had become an occasion for me to sin.

As for the other: Far worse has been said about me over there. By his silence in the face of Tug's recent vicious, unprovoked attack of ME, EL showed the nature of his own character. I'm still appalled.

I've never doubted his Christian faith -- Tug's either -- yet he has semiregularly questioned mine -- and for him to question MLK Jr.'s Christianity was pretty much the last straw.

I'm not sure what EL's witness is, but it is not to the Christ I know. He seems to know a different Christ. But not actually. Christ reveals Himself to His followers as He sees fit, I guess.

Luther had nothing kind to say to or about Zwingli. I have had, and do have, kind words for EL. The above comment was not one of them. Vicious? I call it a brotherly call to account. Forgive me if in exasperation, I wonder how he and I can claim to follow the same Christ. That, too, is a notion that EL has expressed regarding myself moe than once.

Mom2, I caution you again about assessing my words based on incomplete information and limited exposure to my blog relationships. EL and I went round and round for more than a year.

Now. YOU go back to the thread where Tug so viciously attacked me, unprovoked, observe EL's silence, and tell me I should be expected to react any differently. And, Dan, sorry to clutter up this thread with this.