Thursday, December 21, 2006

Merry Christmas


Merry Christmas
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.

Happy Holidays, Blessed Break, whatever you celebrate, I wish you well.

Thank everyone for participating (those who commented and those who just read along) in the look at Jesus' famous, practical and beautiful Sermon on the Mount. The conversations took some turns I didn't see within those passages but I reckon we're all going to read what we read into it.

I was asked by someone recently: How do you see 2007, this Christmas Eve?

The person referenced me to a column by "conservative" Dennis Prager who pointed out the difficulties facing our world and the hope to be found - said he - in embracing Traditional American Values (TM).

I thought it a good question to ponder this time of year. There certainly is a lot to be pessimistic about.

Unlike Prager, I don't think those who say they value America's
traditional values offer much to make things better. I think those who
DO value many of America's traditional values have something to offer, but we have some serious debits working against us.

We have globally lived beyond our means. Or rather, we who are wealthy have lived beyond our means and the world desires to emulate us - an impossible and undesirable dream. The world can't support 7 billion Wealthy Western (ie, over-consumptive) lifestyles.

I have some hopes that our oil will peak sooner rather than later, but
in a gradual enough way that will allow for us all to tighten our belts
and re-order our lives in a way that doesn't result in the deaths of
too many millions of people.

Hopefully, gas prices will jump up another $2 or so in the next year or
two - shocking us with the realization of how dependent we have made ourselves on a resource that is disappearing. Hopefully, this will lead to folk abandoning the personal auto en masse, abandoning Stuff imported from around the world and embrace locally produced and self-produced goods and food.

Hopefully, we have already realized the folly of trying to defeat
terrorism by embracing terrorism and that we'll start treating
terrorism as the serious crime it is (with many complex reasons and
solutions) rather than a war to wage against some other nation. We must not feed the terrorism beast as Bush's policies have done.

It is a bleak picture, if one is inclined to accept bleak.

Despite the current state of affairs, I find great hope in my God, my family, my church and community. But humanity's foolishness is a force to be contended with and I'll have to agree with Prager at least in his assessment that times are tough.

Here's hoping to a Celebration of the Prince of Peace and an honoring of his Ways. Here's hoping to a wiser new year and a new Great Awakening.

And you? How do you see the world this coming year?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the Second Great Awakening, Charles Finney said that he had only three things: the Bible, prayer and the Holy Spirit.

And we still have the same three available today. So, with this, we can be optimistic for 2007.

Roger said...

Good point Larry. Those are reasons to be thankful indeed. Merry Christmas to you - Dan, Eleutheros, Michael, Marty, mom2, Bubba, ER and anyone else on here that I may be forgetting.

Marty said...

Back at ya Roger!

I don't know what the New Year will bring, but I hope and pray an end to war. Merry Christmas all.

I Choose Love

Eleutheros said...

And a Blessed Solstice (today) to you all.

Anonymous said...

I see the new year as one when leftists and Democrats continue to rip the soul out of our nation...leaving it more of a culturally and spiritually barren, immoral place.

Merry Christmas, Dan...and Family!

Erudite Redneck said...

Speechless.

Dan Trabue said...

I'm with Marty, I'll choose Love.

Responsibility, sustainability, compassion, grace, justice...Love.

Anonymous said...

I am very seldom accurate in predicting the future. (I was completely accurate in predicting what would happen if we invaded Iraq, but so were many who were not heeded. It took only a little serious reflection.)

I believe the New Year will present more global crises and conflicts, but also more opportunities for creative work for justice and peace. The threats to the planetary environment are gaining in pace. I hope that the grassroots movement to address these threats continues because I see little commitment on the part of national leaders--and not too much on the part of global leaders.

I do not have optimism, but I have the Christian Hope that the God who meets us from the future is the One who raised Jesus from the dead. I continue to trust in nonviolence because God DID raise the Crufied One, thereby validating all He lived and taught. The risk of enemy love is the cross--but Christians have been promised crosses anyway. The promise of enemy love is the death of hate and enmity. With that promise, I choose to continue the risk.

Marty said...

Powerful Michael. Amen.

Neo-Con Tastic said...

*Ahem*


Merry Christmas to you Dan. And have a blessed New Year.

Erudite Redneck said...

Good lookin' fam, Dan.

Dan Trabue said...

Well, except for the ol' fat guy.

Thanks.

Merry Christmas back at you, NeoCon.