Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Cormorant Stretching


Cormorant Stretching
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.

I have been called,
and am often called back, to the River.

There lies something compelling in her
lapping waves and
I of necessity return to the water,
mother of our town and
feeder of our thirst.

I approach the River's edge and reach
to feel the playful bounce of her wave,
to brush its cap back on windy days
and to slide my hand over its glass
on calm.

I want nothing so much, when
My body and soul
Have had enough of this old world,
As to lie there in the shade of a kindly sycamore
And the River's gracious presence.

4 comments:

hipchickmamma said...

thanks dan. i appreciate the beauty and calm you have offered to us this day.

Dan Trabue said...

Why, thank you, Ms Mamma.

lené said...

I always enjoy your poetry--and presence to the world. I still think of your last line in the piece about following the river home that you posted on WL a few weeks back.

And hi to hipchickmamma!! :)

Pam in Tucson said...

I always love your river posts, Dan. You have a close and magical relationship with the River. If you ever have time to read Chet Raymo's The Path, I think you'd enjoy his discourses on his local Queset Brook and its significance to the town throughout the ages. I find similarities between his relationship with that brook and your relationship with your River.