Friday, July 21, 2006

Ohio Sunset


Ohio Sunset
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.

The Great Un-doing

There should be a great Un-doing of it all
Not because progress is bad
But because our progress has been bad.

No sooner had we settled the banks of the Ohio
here in Louisville
had we turned our streams and river into toilets and sewers.

Our progress, in building this city of many neighbors and communities,
was paid for at the cost of our water and wildlife
and ultimately us.

This was wrong.

We didn't err in desiring to have a city,
just in our design.
It was cheaper, remains cheaper, to use Beargrass Creek as a sewer.

However, what is cheaper in the short term is rarely,
if ever,
cheaper in the long term.

And what is cheaper in the long term,
is cheaper.

4 comments:

D.Daddio Al-Ozarka said...

What kind of camera do you have, Dan?

Your pics are always crisp and clear!

Dan Trabue said...

Kodak Z740, which seemed to be a nice midrange camera. 10x zoom, 5.0 megapixel. Still figuring it out.

Thanks.

(although I think that this particular photo was taken with my last camera - my first digital - which was a step or two below this one in quality, a relatively cheap olympus. I forget the model.)

D.Daddio Al-Ozarka said...

I've got a Nikon 5600 (5.1). I just haven't figured it out yet, I guess. I need to spend some time in different conditions and do so.

Digital photograp[hy is wonderful, though, aint it?

BTW, can I HAVE your camera? JUST KIDDING!

D.Daddio Al-Ozarka said...

I think my overall quality would be better if I used a tripod more often.