Thursday, June 8, 2006

Life is a Bowl of Cherries


Cherries Jubilation
Originally uploaded by paynehollow.

I'm away from my blogspace for a few days and so I'll leave you with the first fruits of the year's harvest and a few delightful quotes.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a mapmaker by trade (computer-mapping, or GIS). And so I'll begin with one for the cartographers out there:


Everything is related to everything else, but near things are more related than distant things.

Tobler's First Law of Geography

If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

P. J. O'Rourke

When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Weaseling out of things is good. It's what separates us from the other animals....except weasels.

Homer Simpson

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot , Blackfoot warrior and orator

9 comments:

madcapmum said...

Are those your cherries, Dan?

Dan Trabue said...

From our front yard. Pretty tart - too sour for eating fresh, but makes a nice cherry crisp...or maybe a rhubarb-cherry pie? mmmmm.....

D.Daddio Al-Ozarka said...

I just completed my first semester at a local junior-college, Dan.

IT/GIS is my major.

Dan Trabue said...

Now, THIS is getting spooky, Daddio.

I think it's a sign that you should follow me in rejection of what passes as "conservative" ideology these days...

D.Daddio Al-Ozarka said...

LOL!

As long as you'll join me in rejection of what passes as liberal ideology today, Dan.

LOL, again.

Kevin Condon said...

These kind of cherries were called pie cherries by my Grandma. Mark and I used to pick them every summer, competing with the birds, who loved them.

Did you know that my Ph.D. was in geography, Dan? I'm coming thru Louisville in July. I'll keep you up on my itinerary. Let's get together and talk geography. George eats old gray rats and paints houses yellow!

Wasp Jerky said...

Yah! Pie for everyone!

Dan Trabue said...

I've got enough for cherry crisps (my favorite form of baked cherry) for all of you who stop by. Bring some rhubarb and we'll make it a rhubarb/cherry crisp.

George Eats Old Gray... an acronym to remember how to spell geography?

Yeah, Kevin, by all means, let's get together.

Wasp Jerky said...

Anything with cherries and crust works for me. :) Next time I'm in Louisville I'll stop by.